Photobucket




Tuesday, March 26, 2013

Takin' Time Tuesday...Papa Had Plenty Of Time

The old home place on which my great grandfather lived isn't exactly as I remember as a child, but it's still standing.  I always thought it sat much further off the road. I thought the mail box was a LONG way away. I thought the garden spot covered acres and acres. I thought the house and farm much bigger.  But I suppose that was from a child's perspective of distance and size.  And I thought it  the most beautiful place on earth.  Now I know that it wasn't.  At least not from a purely visual point of view!

My family and I, with my dad and Miss Catherine, recently road by the old home place and the cemetery.  Memories flooded my mind, and I thanked God for the profound influence an already elderly man, by the time I arrived, had on my young life. (the gentleman below is my father)

My earliest remembrance of my great-grandfather is when I was around five years old.  He was seventy years older than I, part Cherokee and part Irish, and fit as a fiddle.  I very fondly remember following his every footstep and trying to keep up with him.  He plowed with a mule named Shorty, and I was often found trying to walk in the prints his large boots made in the beautiful Alabama dirt.

He would make the hundred mile trip to pick me up, and I thought he and I were driving cross country as we headed back to his rural home.  It did take quite a while since he rarely drove his car over thirty miles per hour and stopped at every DQ between my home and his.  He'd offer to get for me whatever I wanted and a hamburger patty would be purchased for his dog Pepper.

One of my memories is of when I was five or six years old and my father *retired* Papa's old outhouse and installed an indoor bathroom. It was placed in a corner of a lean-to screened porch which crossed the back of the house and held freezers, canning equipment, a lovely collection of baskets for collecting eggs or produce, and always a number of seeds in the process of drying and awaiting their time to be planted in the good southern dirt.

But guess what happened to the retired outhouse?  My cousin and I took turns making it into our play house.  There was also a cute and larger well house, but we both wanted to *live* in the retired outhouse.  We had to negotiate!  Often!

I made mud pies, mud soup and practiced kneading skills by making mud biscuits.  And all while enjoying the shade of a giant pecan tree. Sometimes my cousin would get to come and spend the day.  Mildred, my Papa's wife, would supply us with plenty of extra old spoons, a pot, and a few chipped or retired dishes.

There was a certain rhythm and consistency to the days which provided a sense of security and peacefulness which this girl craved and thrived under. And there was rarely any hurry to get to the next activity or place.  Life was slow.  And simple.  And wonderful.  And I longed to stay there.  Forever.

Eggs were collected each morning, and the chickens were given a bit of corn and table scraps.  I collected them in a cute little handmade basket which my Papa had made.  With his encouragement, I learned to enter the chicken's domain (hen house) despite my fear of them.  I walked right in and took the eggs from beneath them - even though they made a terrible racket and scolded me severely, or so I thought.:)  Once there was a very large chicken snake, but Papa saved the day and the eggs.

Days on the farm began early as Papa got up at 4:00 am each morning.  And bedtime was linked to the sun and pretty much the same as when the chickens went to roost.

He stayed up *late* one night per week.  That was so  he could watch the man who tap danced on the Lawrence Welk Show. The lights went out as soon as the gentleman danced.

There were barns which held stored foods and feed for the animals, fruit trees which could be eaten from at any time I wanted, and Papa and I would walk through the garden together eating muscadines. He'd  then ask me to pick out a watermelon (my favorite) and cut it open under the pecan tree.  Pure bliss.

Mildred was always canning things, and most evenings were spent sitting in the rocking chairs or front porch swing and shelling beans or something from the garden.  They each had a large metal pan in which they placed hot water and soaked their tired feet.  I loved the creaking sound the rockers made and the feeling that I was contributing somehow while helping to put away food.  I'm not sure how much I actually helped, but the fact that they allowed me to enter into their work and lives benefited me in so many ways.

Papa didn't have a lot of money.  He had plenty of time.  He MADE time.  And he invested his time in me.  Those hours sitting on the porch swing or on the block wall weren't idle.  Papa was transferring information.  And morals.  And principles. And wise warnings.  I'm not sure he knew, but he was.  And I listened.  Because he CARED enough to invest his TIME.

Life on the farm with Papa wasn't Six Flags or an amusement park, but life on the farm with Papa was just what this girl needed. And wanted. Someone who cared.  Someone who had time. For me. And God knew.

My Papa died one year after Tom and I married and before we had any children.  But he had a profound influence on our view of them and their needs.

While not all children will grow up on a farm or have a farm experience, almost ALL need more time and less things.  I believe that with all my heart.  Simple pleasures.  Time to think.  Pray. Create. Read. Work.  Study.  Enjoy God's creation.  Ponder.  Serve.  Learn at the feet of those wiser than themselves.

So whenever I find myself forgetting those things... and failing to look into their eyes and really listen... and concerning myself to much with giving them more things rather than more time... memories of Papa remind me of what's truly important.

So this post is a tribute to Auburn Oscar Lowrimore.  My great-grandfather.  A man who had plenty of time.  For a little girl.  And who made a difference.  In a young life.

May God bless your efforts as you make time for those God has placed in your life.  Today.  Blessings  ~ Sherry~   




This post linked to:                           
 http://www.oursimplefarm.com/

22 comments:

  1. You were truly a "rich" little girl to have the love of such a great man.
    Blessings to you

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Shirley,

      I agree! Thank you for leaving a comment, and I hope you have a very blessed day.:)

      Sherry

      Delete
  2. This is such a beautiful reminder of what God would have me to do with my children. Thank you.

    Amy Jo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Amy Jo,

      You are very welcome. And may God bless you and your family!

      Sherry

      Delete
  3. Wow! What a beautiful post! I have been pondering here lately ,do I take enough time with my children God has blessed us with? This went right to my heart and I want to thank you sooo much for sharing this with all of us! Keep up the great posts,I LOve country life and Gods amazing love!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Rebekah,

      Yes...God's love is amazing. And I'm also sensing the need to take more time with my children this week. May our Great God and Savior bless you as you minister to your family.:) And I thank you for leaving a comment.

      Blessings,

      Sherry

      Delete
  4. What a beautiful post. So good to read such a reminder today of what really matters. We moved to the farm years ago to give our children the chance to have and learn those things that you listed. I know it can happen other places but nowhere like the farm. I wasn't on a farm much when I was a child but when I was I knew that there was something different about the place and the people.
    I'm so glad that you had such a wonderful great-grandfather.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Bonnets and Boots,

      Thank you for leaving a comment.

      I'm very thankful for the great-grandfather I had. And I agree...there's no place like a farm and learning to value hard work and the lessons and values to be learned there.

      Have a blessed day!

      Sherry

      Delete
  5. OH what a beautiful post! It is wonderful to hear stories like this. I ammost felt like I was with you and you were telling a story. So nice to hear things like this and as you said times were "slower" and not as hurried and rushed. Thank You for sharing your memories with us. Blessings...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Vicki,

      Thank you for your sweet comment. Sharing these memories of mine is a great way for me to be reminded of what's truly important...especially when life gets to hurried and balance needs to be sought...again!

      Blessings to you and yours...

      Sherry

      Delete
  6. That's so wonderful that you had such a sweet great-grandfather! I wish so much that I could have known my grandpa. Your post kind of reminds me of stories I've heard about him. He was a simple man who loved a simple life. And that's a good, good thing.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Sherry ~

    What precious memories of your childhood and the wise influence of your great-grandfather. The days of old...simple, purposeful, skilled...

    Thank you for sharing a bit of your past. Always an encouragement to be a part of it. Thank you also for the timely reminder to...

    Slow down...
    Listen to those wee ones the Lord has given...
    Invest in them {in a way the REALLY matters...LOVE, CARE, TIME, IMPARTING WISDOM...}

    Blessings to you and your family this Resurrection as we slow down, reflect and give thanks ~

    Jarnette

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jarnette,

      I always enjoy hearing from you, and I hope you had a wonderful weekend of worship and time to remember the Resurrection of our Lord.

      Thank you for your sweet comments and words of encouragement. You are a blessing.:)

      Sherry



      Delete
  8. I was feeling a little down... then I thought "I know, I'll go to barnhousenews"! Your blog always makes my soul sing. When I come here I feel like I'm a part of your family... I'm in the kitchen writing a scripture on a cupboard; I'm helping to prepare the evening meal; I'm reading a bedtime story; My spirit is lifted up with yours in prayer.

    Your papa's love and example continues to bless all of us through your family.

    Now I go out in the day... refreshed, and brave, and grateful, and loved (and ready to pass that love on to others)! Peace be with you and yours.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Heidi,

      Your sweet comment, and those of others, made my soul sing.:)

      My hearts desire is that those who come here will be refreshed and encouraged to joyfully love and minister to those whom God has placed around them and in their homes...and to savor every moment.

      May you enjoy His presence and peace today, and I thank you for leaving a comment.

      Blessings on you and yours!

      Sherry

      Delete
  9. Greetings to you Sherry, what wonderful memories you have of your great grandfather....wow, I never knew my great grandfather and I did not spend a lot of time with either of my grand fathers but as I was reading your memories I was reflecting and then started to laugh.....by the time I came around my grandfather had moved off his farm in Oklahoma and into the city in California. He had nothing to do and did not work anymore. He sat a lot and watched tv or played cards. He smoked a pipe and drank coffee all day. He called giving or getting hugs and kisses "sugar" actually he said suga. LOL All I really remember is that he reeked of tobacco and coffee and always wanted me to give him some suga....I hated it! but I did love my grandpa :o)

    Blessings to you and please pray for me and my brother Don who is dying of cancer. The Lord has opened up some doors to minister to him and he is now wanting to go to church for the first time....he said he wants to go somewhere where he can hear "The Truth" (his words). Praise the Lord! He has been listening to the bible cd's I gave him. He is very broken. He does not read well so does not like to read. I am going to search this week for some good teaching dvd's for him to watch. He is really not able to do much anymore but watch tv and putter around in his shop. He is very hungry for God and says all he wants is to know about Him......This is the boy who ran out the back door of church and would never have anything to do with church or God and whos alchoholism even caused him to be very billigerent anytime the subject came up......I am thanking God for his grace and his mercy and the beautiful way he is showing my family how much he loves Don.
    I will be traveling to his house this Sunday to take him to a church where I know the pastor.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I needed this reminder today, Sherry. Thanks so much!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Replies
    1. Cary,

      Yes, I have such sweet memories of that time in my life.

      By the way, I love the name of your farm, and I hope you and yours are well and enjoying the beautiful spring days...

      Blessings,

      Sherry

      Delete
  12. What precious story told of sweet memories. Isn't God amazing how He created our minds to hold such treasures of time past to reflect upon in the future. What a might loving God we do indeed serve.

    Our family stops by often (from our corner of Tennessee) to see what's taking place at Leegacy Farm, as we are new to the farming world. When we saw this post it wasn't just the story you told but the pictures you shared. We purchased a 30 acre farm last May, on the farm is a pole barn, dairy barn, and a little yellow house just like your Grandpa had! We are in the process of restoring the house and adding on a n addition for our family to live in. We pray to be in by the end of the summer, Lord willing. Several years ago we became friends with a group of Christian Mennonites, who have been a great deal of help to us on the farm. We are seeking the simple life with out all the hurry scurry, as time passes much to quickly to not be soaking in our family/children. But more importantly seeking to grow in our Lord and His word, then being quiet enough to listen. We are already in awe of what is taking place out at the farm, it's truly the hand of the Lord.

    Your blog is such an encouragement and blessing to our family. Thank you!
    Laura

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Laura and family,

      Thank YOU! And it's very nice to *meet* you.:)

      I'm so excited for you and your family, and your new farm sounds wonderful. And I can't believe it looks like my Papa's house. I can still remember exactly how it was decorated, what the furniture looked like, where everything was placed...I even remember the red metal stool, in the kitchen, which I would sit on as I helped or observed what was going on in there. That stool would, I suppose, be considered the *retro* look, now.

      I must have thought it the most beautiful house--inside and out--because there was so much love there.

      I pray that wonderful memories will be made at your farm as you work together as a family and seek to continue growing in the Lord.

      God bless you, and thanks again for stopping by.

      Blessings,

      Sherry

      Delete