Photobucket




Wednesday, March 5, 2014

Snow, A Wood Cookstove, And We're Snug As A Bug.....

We're still here, the snowflakes are falling, the new/used wood cook stove is working out wonderfully, and we're "snug as a bug in a rug".  And I can't tell you how happy we are to be heating with wood and with not having a heating bill.  Several months ago we were blessed with a beautiful wood stove which was being sold by a local Amish family.  Because it provided too much heat for their home, the price was incredible and now we're learning to cook and bake with wood and realizing that we have lots to learn and that the learning is lots of fun.

And friends and family, I can't believe it's been such a long time since we last posted, and I so appreciate the kind emails received asking how we're doing.

Like most, we've had an extra cold winter, and today we're watching it snow and staying near the wood cook stove in order to stay snug and warm.  We former Alabamians are still in awe at the site of snow, and the younger kiddos are anxious to get out and play before all the white wonder disappears.:)
We also had a new momma cat give birth to kittens this week and she and her babies have settled on a warm spot by the toasty fire.  And of all days, a baby jersey heifer was born today, and we are so excited!  Since her momma just arrived from Georgia, we figured she might not be to used to the cold either.  But she and baby are NOT joining us by the fire.  They've been given a warm spot in the barn.:)
With winter being a time for catching up on projects not easily done during the busyness of spring, summer and fall, we've been busy as bees around here and can't believe spring is just around the corner.  Many projects have been completed and there always seem to be more to be done on this pretty old homestead.  We are thankful for the work opportunities, thankful to be here, and hope to post about some of the frugal projects done during these past five or so months.

And while on the subject of work and being busy, as I know we all are, I was reminded these past months, and especially during this mornings devotion time of how when there are to many things to do, I must not follow mans natural response which is to fret and fear. According to Elisabeth Elliot, "The plan of God for me, for this one day, is meant not to trouble but to GLADDEN my heart.  Christ's yoke, according to His own promise, is not hard but easy--if we bear it together with Him and if we bear it as Christ bore it, in meekness and lowliness of heart."
And, "There will be both time and strength to do the will of God.  The course He sets for us in His commandments is not an obstacle course, but one carefully planned to suit our qualifications -- that is, not too rigorous for our limitations, not too lenient for our strengths".  --  Elisabeth Elliot
I don't know about you, but those words greatly encourage my heart.  And remind me to always be seeking His face and His will for the day.  And to pray.  And that's always a good thing to do!
Other happenings since our last post include the birth of many piglets here on Leegacy Family Farm, and they are growing nicely!  Johnathon's momma pig also had a nice big family of nine piglets which have been sold. and there's also a couple of adorable twin lambs in the pasture:)
Boy, it's cold out there!
And the farm chicks started laying again in January.  Yay!!  And I suppose that's the end of this update.  I do hope you are all well and warm, and I've very much missed you all.  Blessings,  Sherry for the family 

21 comments:

  1. Oh, Mrs. Sherry you just made my day! I have been so looking forward to your next post.Spring is definitely one of the most exciting times of the year with all the baby animals as being born or hatching.

    The quote by Elisabeth Elliot is very good, I had never heard it before. Its very encouraging. :)

    It's so good to hear from ya'll again!

    HP

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. His Princess,

      You are so sweet and it's always good to hear from you.

      Yes, we are so excited about spring and we're beginning to see a few flowers here and there.:)

      God bless you,

      Sherry Lee

      Delete
  2. We have a flameview in black, but I love your white one! Don't they heat a home beautifully?!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Christina,

      Thanks so much for leaving a comment. And you have a flameview? Yes, I love how it heats our home, and I love being able to see the flame through the glass door. Do you do most or all of your baking in your flameview? Also, I'm so glad I didn't have to choose the color. I'm not great at making choices and deciding between the black or white one would have been difficult. Glad the decision was made for me!:)

      Thanks again for leaving a comment, and God bless you...

      Sherry

      Delete
  3. Oh, thank you! I've been waiting to hear from you and your family! What a blessing to have a wood cook stove. God is soooo good. I'm happy for you and your nice, toasty, warm house. Maybe one day at our home, too!

    Thanks for the pictures, they mean so much. Our prayers are with you and your children.

    By Grace Alone,
    Kim

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Kim,

      You are so VERY sweet. I so appreciate your comments and I thank you for checking in on us.

      Yes, God is so good. We never expected to find a wood cook stove on Craigslist, and especially not within ten miles of our home! Definitely an answer to prayer.:)

      Your welcome for the pictures, and I thank you again for your always sweet comments and for your continued prayers.

      Blessings,

      Sherry

      Delete
  4. It looks like a wonderful winter for your family! Being down here in Florida we have not seen this cold. But I have family in Missouri that has seen it. I hope you all have continued warmth and blessings,
    Amy Jo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Amy Jo,

      So good to hear from you! And I suppose the warmth down there in Florida is lovely about now. My mom used to live in the Panhandle area and would occasionally have a wee bit of chilly weather, but I suppose you must be further south.:)

      Anyway, thanks again for leaving a comment. And may God bless you and your family.

      Blessings,

      Sherry

      Delete
  5. How lovely to read a new post.....you are an inspiration to so many:)
    I remember cooking on a wood stove with my Grandma in Colorado when I visited her as a little girl. You have such a pretty and cozy home, filled with the blessings of a wonderful family. So nice to hear you are well. Blessings from Shirley in Virginia

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Shirley,

      Thank you so much for your sweet comment. And I hope you are well.:) And you remember your Grandma cooking on a wood stove? I can't remember when my Grandmother had one, but I always enjoyed visiting with a friend who has one and longed to have one in our home. Something about the food and the wood smells mingling??

      Blessings to you, and very good to hear from you.

      Sherry

      Delete
  6. So glad to see another one of your wonderful posts. Looks like the barnyard is full. Hope the cold weather exits soon, and we can all enjoy that beautiful spring weather. I'm glad to see you and your family are doing well and staying warm and cozy during these cold winter days.

    Blessings,

    Victoria

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Victoria,

      Hello! Yes, the barnyard is full and I can't wait for the lovely spring weather to arrive. Although I've also enjoyed the cold and the extra times for projects (indoors). But spring is always exciting, and I hope you and yours are well, and I thank you for your sweet comment.

      Blessings,

      Sherry

      Delete
  7. Sherry, I was so excited when I came by and saw that you had made a new post. We haven't talked in quite some time. Last year was a particularly difficult year for me. As you probably remember, my father and brother were coming to the end of their battles with cancer... Oh my Sherry, so much richness and depth those last few months held. God is sooo good, we experienced His "peace that passes ALL understanding!" My Father passed in November and my brother followed him three weeks later in December. Matthew 7:7 says, Ask, and it shall be given you; seek, and ye shall find; knock, and it shall be opened unto you. Last summer I asked the Lord to prepare my family for the days that were ahead of us and as you know yourself, God is so very faithful! He did just that and we are still in awe of how he carried us and of all that transpired in the lives of all of our family members during that time.

    I am so happy to see you are all well and my husband would really think your new stove was really cool! We too enjoyed many a fires this winter.
    Spring is coming and my husband is taking me to Hawaii :o) soooo excited! Blessings to you my friend and your pies look amazing!!! I'm still trying to get sourdough figured out :o)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Susan,

      So very very good to hear an update from you. And I've often wondered about your father and brother and prayed for you all. I'm so sorry for your loss but so happy to hear your testimony of God's goodness and faithfulness to you and yours during the difficult times. Yes, his grace is truly amazing and His mercies are new every morning. And your father and brother passed so close together. Praise God for how He prepared you and your family and for how He answered your prayers to prepare you and your family and for all that transpired during that time.

      And I hope all your granddaughters are doing well. And I'm SO excited about your upcoming trip with your husband to Hawaii!!!!! How SWEET!

      Blessings to you my friend, and I'm so glad you stopped by for a 'visit' and left a comment.

      Blessings,

      Sherry

      Delete
  8. Y'all's place is so pretty in the snow!!! Nice stove, too! Miss y'all!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! Yes, we've loved having the snow, and we especially love the wood cook stove!

      Bless y'all,

      Sherry

      Delete
  9. I really like the fence! I've heard about it, so it was great to see it. Lovely!
    -K

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! The fence was a gift from my sweet children, and I LOVE it. There father always wanted me to have a picket fence wherever we lived (think I mentioned loving them before we married), and I guess they're following his picket-fence tradition. Sweet!

      Delete
  10. Hi Sherry
    It is lovely to read your update. I always love reading about what you have been up to. I continue to pray for you. I love your photos. It's always so interesting looking at pictures of another part of the world and your lovely winter days while we are in the midst of summer. Thank you for sharing.
    God bless you
    Renata:)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Renata,

      So good to hear from you, and I hope you and yours are well and enjoying your summer time. Do you ever get much cold weather? Thank you for leaving a sweet comment and for stopping by for a 'visit'!

      Blessings,

      Sherry

      Delete
  11. Hi Sherry! It has been forever since I have stopped in for a visit. Looks like the farm is doing well and it's so nice to see the happenings. Blessings on that new wood burning stove. I am sure you all have mastered it by now and I can almost smell the delicious aromas all the way down here. ;)

    Blessings in Him,

    ReplyDelete